Hometime Window Logo
How-To Windows & Doors
Hometime Logo Dean Johnson
transparent transparent



Trans 1) Basic Window Styles Trans
2) Window Glazing
3) Door Options
4) Installing and Replacing Doors
5) Fitting a Door Blank
6) Framing for a Window
7) Installing a Flanged Window
8) Replacement Window Insert Units
9) Skylights & Roof Windows
10) Garage Door Installation
  11) Glossary  

Glossary of Terms & Definitions

Flat trim piece placed horizontally just beneath the window stool.

Brick Mold
Milled trim piece, usually on wood windows, that covers the gap between the window frame and exterior siding

Trim molding applied around interior and exterior window and door openings to cover the gap between the frame or jamb on the wall.

Cripple Studs
The short stud pieces that distribute weight over the header and help support the window under the subsill. When windows are located near the top plate or floor, upper cripple studs can be eliminated with a taller header.

Drip Cap
A horizontal molding placed above doors and windows to divert water so it drips beyond the frame. Also a formed piece of sheet metal that performs the same function.

The layers of glass and their coatings in a window or door unit.

A horizontal framing member installed above a door or window to transfer the building's load from above the opening to the supporting wall structure on either side of the opening. Header size is based on the rough opening size and the weight of the structure above the opening. The bigger the window, the stronger the header must be. Factors like overhead floor length and joist spacing may be involved in calculating header size. Check with your local building inspector for requirements.


The side and head trim of a door or window frame.

King Studs
The wall studs that run the entire length of the wall. Trimmer studs attach to king studs.

Generally all building components of finished wood that are made in a woodworking plant or planing mill. Includes doors, window sashes, door frames and window frames as well as stair components, trim moldings, mantels and wainscot panels.

A vertical or horizontal member that divides adjacent window or door units.



A smaller, secondary member that divides the glass or openings in a sash or door. The look of a divided light is frequently created with a snap-in muntin grill.

Parting Stop
The small strips of wood placed in the side and head jambs of a double hung window to separate the upper and lower sash.

Prehung door
A door already mounted to the jambs, eliminating the steps of fitting the hinges and squaring door.

The horizontal members of window sash and panel doors.

Rough Opening
The framed opening in a wall to accommodate a window or door.

The a window frame containing one or more panes of glass.

The framing member forming the bottom side of the rough opening. The sill is supported by cripple studs.

The vertical members of window sash and panel doors.

Horizontal trim piece attached to the sill. The bottom rail of the lower sashes in a double hung window rests against the stool

Small molding strips attached to side and head jambs to guide and stop moving sashes and swinging doors.

Trimmer Studs
These studs support the header and transfer structural weight from the header down to the floor. Trimmers serve as framing for nailing side jambs.

Two of the window brands we regularly use have more extensive and detailed glossaries on their web sites:
JELD-WEN Andersen